Friday 11 August 2023

Surrey Police took no action because of staff shortages

 

|I have now received a response from Surrey Police to my complaint about their decision to take no action against the driver who crashed into me (see previous blog).

 I specifically complained that the police had left it too late (over 30 days) before obtaining CCTV coverage which may have shown evidence of the collision.  The tape was wiped after 30 days.

 The solicitors acting for me in my claim for damages tell me it is quite common for the police to take no action in “minor” cases.

The email responding to my complaint was sent to me from the Investigating Officer, Professional Standards Department, Surrey Police HQ.

 Basically it says staffing levels meant they were unable to get hold of the CCTV coverage in time, before it was wiped. 

 He suggested I seek redress through the driver’s car insurance for damages and injuries as he stopped, apologised and exchanged details with me.

I was told that it may not have been in the public interest to prosecute the driver for driving without due care and attention as the CPS are equally limited in what resources they have available to them.

The letter confirmed the first letter and said no further action will be taken, considering this explanation to be a reasonable and proportionate response.

They offered a sincere apology and wished me all the best.




 

I have responded to the Investigating Officer, thus:

 

  Dear Sir,

 Thank you responding to my complaint.

Clearly I cannot expect the police to take further action if, as you say, this minor road traffic collision case was dropped because of staff shortages and case overload at the CPS.

So much for the slogan once to be seen on the side your vehicles: 

“With you making Surrey safer”.

But hey, no one died. Possibly due to staff shortages in the Grim Reaper’s office.

Do excuse my bitterness. I do appreciate the difficulty faced by the police over staff shortages. So many vital services are adversely affected in this way, most notably by the NHS.

My solicitors have paid the police fee to obtain details of the driver’s insurance company and they expect to wait a few months before they receive the information. Due to staff shortages, probably.

How long does it take to press “copy” and “send”?

A number of unexplained issues trouble me. I would like to know if these were considered or not. 

According to the law negligence or carelessness while driving which leads to a crash may merit a prosecution.

If for no other reason than to, hopefully,  make the driver more aware of his/her responsibilities in the future, in a bid to make hazardous road conditions less so.

The disproportionate consequences of “careless” driving cannot be underestimated yet are not taken into account, except in extreme cases when the victim is either killed or receives life-changing injuries.

In my case I escaped with broken hands, cuts and bruises and a battered rib cage, not to mention the shock to my family where I am a carer.

The driver who caused this has got off scot-free. Although I imagine he may be troubled by the memory of what happened and relieved that I walked.

I can never forget what happened. After 66 years of cycling I can no longer go riding. I’ve been scared off the roads.

His apology to me while appreciated might also be considered as admittance of guilt.

Among the actions considered careless  are: “pulling out from a side road into the path of another vehicle” – as more or less happened in this case.

Was he not concentrating? Was he in a hurry?

Did the attending officers speak to the people who kindly helped me while I awaited the ambulance? Did any of these people witness the crash?

Was the driver tested at the scene for drink/drugs?

Had he been using a mobile phone?

In short, just what was it that caused him to drive his ton of metal into me?

I didn’t just fall out of the sky! 

Perhaps too many drivers are far too laid back these days in cars which are too easy to drive.

I will sign off with this old news story about a doctor in A&E who, sickened by the daily carve up regularly served him, came up with a solution  to help concentrate the minds of drivers, to reduce the risks they often inadvertently take.

He recommended cars be made of plywood and have a six-inch steel tungsten spike fitted in the steering column.

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment