Thursday 3 August 2023

SURREY POLICE - A GROSS DERELICTION OF DUTY


Part 2 of this saga coming soon...how Surrey Police responded to this criticism


Easter Sunday morning was the last time I cycled in the fresh air. I was hit broadside by a car which swung across onto my side of the road. Into my periphery vision, at speed, rushed a windscreen looming larger than life. 

The bonnet seemed to go under me. WHAM I was struck by a weight, a force so great I cannot describe it. A force which reverberated through my entire body. I am on the ground on swollen hands and knees….what the? Lots of people all around me, helping me. 

 An ambulance is coming, someone says. 

 The police turn up. 

Why did they bother? Pa

The police let me down.


 Four months later I am shocked to learn from Surrey police that they will not be taking any action on this case….! Did those people who came to my aid not see anything? I discover that the police failed to take a look at available CCTV coverage before it was wiped! 

I have accused them of gross dereliction of duty. A former officer tells me he is not surprised, he knows them as “Sorry Police”. 

 My formal complaint is in the post….as follows… 

 The Chief Executive Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner PO Box 412 Guildford Surrey GU3 1BR Dear Madam or Sir, I am lodging this complaint in writing as well as via your formal online procedure because I have lack of faith in the IT system which managed to record an incorrect address for me. 

This concerns RTA collision ref: 0196 SYP-20230409-0196, which details a collision between a car and myself riding a bicycle – I was hit broadside on by the vehicle swinging at right angles from one side of the road to the other, directly into my path and hitting me side on. The Police have informed me no action will be taken in this case. 

My complaint concerns what I consider to be a gross dereliction of duty in police enquiries into this collision, which took place on London Road, Dorking, adjacent to the ESSO filling station at 09.35 on Sunday, April 9, 2023. Easter Sunday morning. 

I am in receipt of an email from a gentleman at Surrey Police HQ who signs it on behalf of the chief constable and he informs me that the CCTV at the garage was not checked by the officers and I quote: CCTV “was not checked by the attending officer as the manager was not present. CCTV for such premises has a sell-by date of 30 days, our unit picked this file up well over a month later by which time the CCTV had been wiped.” 

He added, on behalf of the chief constable, that he was sorry if this is not what I wanted to hear.

 To which I will say, no, it is not what I wanted to hear. 

Because of this inefficiency, possible evidence was lost. I will add that Dorking police station is approximately 200 metres away from the Esso Garage. 

 I received two broken hands, various grazes including a cut to the head – my helmet was smashed - and severe bruising to my rib cage. I am full time carer for my daughter and my injuries required me to employ professional care for some essential duties my role as carer demands. The bike escaped serious damage. 

 The stress to my family is considerable.

 I will add I am a former competition cyclist with over 60 years riding experience who until that Sunday morning had never been in a collision. Fear of a repeat has obliged me to hang up my wheels. At the very least the police owe me a full explanation as to why they have failed to give me justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment