Monday 3 October 2022

In search of the new transport minister

 So who has Prime Minister Liz Truss appointed as her Secretary of State for Transport? 

With the news dominated by the passing of Queen Elizabeth 2 and more recently by the new PM’s ruinous vision for the UK -  to make us all the poorer, according to many financial experts –  it’s perhaps not so surprising I’ve not see a dicky bird on who the new transport chief is.

Hang on while I leave this page and look it up.

Yes, here we are. The new transport secretary is Anne-Marie Trevelyan, appointed on 6 September 2022.

So, off we go on the merry-go-round once again, to ask if the Trans wizard will do what her predecessor, that shape-shifter Eddy Shapps failed so miserably to do. Not just him but all the gob shites before him over the decades who have refused to take decent money from the obscene multi-billion pound road building budget to make the roads safer for cycling.





She looks a kindly person in the photograph, Ms Trevelyan. No doubt Cycling UK will beat a path to her door as soon as the Conservative Party Shitfest ends in uproar this week. Perhaps there will be a crowd funding appeal to send Truss on NASA’s planned space flight to Mars in 2030. But where to keep her in the meantime?

Cycling UK will I am sure impress upon the new transport boss the age old mantra, please help make the roads safer for cycling - to help save the planet – and inject £7bn into the government’s Active Travel policy.

Although her most pressing need, I guess, will be the current rail strikes crisis.

However, as Minister of State (Minister for Energy, Clean Growth and Climate Change) until a year ago she will be aware of how cycling can contribute to reducing pollution – if only the roads were not so hostile.

Daresay we will hear soon enough what she has to say.

And I will blog about it, for anyone who is interested. Mostly myself, I imagine.

I mean, I have to say I really only write this stuff to relieve pressure on the brain which, after decades reporting  on cycling campaign issues, is still running at maximum speed and needs an outlet.

It allows me to pretend I am still on the news desk.

No idea who reads this stuff – well, I know a few who do. Sorry about all this.

No comments:

Post a Comment